Tuesday 26 May 2015

BEHOLD THE FAR HORIZONS - I WOULD IF I COULD...



You're looking at the view that could once be enjoyed from my bedroom window of the home I lived in from the mid-'60s until the early '70s.  The first picture was taken 16 years to the very day after my family had left the house, by arrangement with the then-current tenant with whom we'd exchanged residences so many years before.  Although not evident in the above pic, on a clear day one could see purple hills above the line of trees on the far horizon, but I captured them on film on a subsequent visit a few weeks later.


In the second scene, taken three years on (with the consent of new tenants), amenity housing for the elderly stands on the site of the field where the neigh-bourhood kids (and myself) once played in previous years.  A sign of the times I suppose, but I can't help lamenting the fact that our horizons are narrowing with every new building crammed into any space that once offered a welcome oasis of greenery amidst the concrete structures of our sprawling towns and cities.

Looks as if the living conditions of places like MEGA-CITY ONE might be a reality sooner than we thought.

Click to enlarge

******

And, just in case you're wondering, below is a close up of the view, taken a few weeks after the one at the top of the page.  See them thar hills.

 

The final photo is me three years later, with replacements of some of the toys I owned when I lived in the house.
    

4 comments:

  1. Would you eventually go into that old people's home so you could look back on your old home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, AJ, when I first published this post on my other blog, one of my pals responded and said how ironic it would be if such a thing happened. I dunno, it might be too painful to look constantly on my old house without being able to go back in.

      Delete
  2. I see how you feel about it all. That is quite a good shot you got to take before the change happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I got those photos, Chris. At least the view as it was lives on, even if only in pictures (and memory).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...