Monday, 13 February 2017

MAN IS A DOG'S WORST FRIEND...



Not long after our dog TARA died, a friend asked me to
look after his four-legged friend for a while, so I did.  Two weeks
after my doggie-sitting term had ended, I bought a puppy, ZARA,
who was the final dog out of three that my family had over a nearly
26 year period.  Let me tell you something - people who don't like
dogs - or any animals in fact - and are untouched by an animal's
death, are unnatural.  There's something missing in them and
they're very probably latent serial killers.

But that's another subject.  When Zara was a few months
old and still in the process of getting her jags, I was sitting in the
vet's one evening and a dog could be heard whining behind a door.
The vet came out to speak to me, and I caught a glimpse of a black
dog which must've been tethered to a table leg or something.  As I
was speaking with the vet, the whining increased and the dog start-
ed scratching at the door and yelping.  I asked what was wrong
with it and the vet replied "It's getting put to sleep."

Anyway, after my business was completed, I made my
way home feeling a little sorry for the dog, but too delighted with
my own pup to dwell on it.  A few years later, I ran into a friend, who
mentioned that he'd been given the very canine that I'd once looked
after, because its owner couldn't keep it any more.  "What happened
to it?" I asked him.  "I had to get it put down because..."  I forget the
reasons why, but I asked him where he'd taken the poor dog, and,
sure enough, it was the very vet's where I'd taken Zara for
her course of injections.

I checked the timeline with him and it matched.  It was then I
realized that the poor creature had been the dog behind the door,
and must have recognized my scent or my voice - hence its frantic
scratching, whining and yelping in an attempt to be rescued from
what it must have sensed was its final fate.  And I had failed it,
and it had gone to its end unloved and unwanted.

Looking back now, I'm not sure what I could have done, if
anything, but it still bothers me every now and again to this day.
I'd only looked after it for a fortnight or so, and it wasn't as if it was
'my' dog, but that poor creature must've hoped I'd rescue it and I let
it down, unaware of its identity 'though I'd been.  Humans are often
pretty useless when it counts, and I was found amongst that par-
ticular number on that sad and pitiful day.  Alas, I no longer
even recall the doomed dog's name.

Regrets?  I've had a few...and this was one of them.

4 comments:

  1. Bloody Hell, Kid, that's a terrible tale! Heart-rending. I was only saying to the missus recently how barbaric it was that when we were young people had perfectly healthy dogs put to death, simply because they couldn't cope or got fed up with them. Since our dog arrived, I cannot quantify the joy she has brought to our home and I know full well that, if I am still around, losing her will absolute kill me.
    The more you love, the worse you grieve and we couldn't love her any more - she's our little star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give her a little pat on the head from me, JP. Maybe you could put a piccie of her on your blog for everyone to see? Yeah, it's a shame that some people consider the lives of other creatures an inconveniece to be disposed of. Doesn't say a lot for some people, does it?

      Delete
    2. Will do, on both counts, Kid.
      Anyone who doesn't love animals is sub-human!

      Delete
    3. There's definitely something missing in them, JP.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...