Saturday 31 January 2015

"HEAVEN IS A VERY SMALL PLACE..."


The Town Centre in the 1960s

Ah, where do the years go?  Y'know, it sometimes galls me that there are places I can no longer visit because they simply don't exist anymore.  Once upon a time, I would drag myself from bed, get dressed, washed, brushed, have breakfast, and set off for school in the mornings, subconsciously absorbing the details of my surroundings as I did so.  When I wake up nowadays, I do so in the same room as I did when I was 13, but my school no longer exists and the route along to where it once stood has changed in quite a number of ways as well.

Even the shopping centre I once explored in wide-eyed wonder has changed beyond all recognition, having quadrupled (at least) in size and been roofed over to protect shoppers from inclement weather.  Ironically, although it's now larger, many of the best and biggest shops have moved to an out-of-town retail park where the rents are apparently cheaper, leaving the original centre with numerous empty premises.  Indeed, many of the newer units built in the last few years have never been occupied since completion.

Outside W. & R. Holmes.  (Out of shot to the
right - you can just see part of the shop sign)

I miss certain shops, havens of my youth, where I'd idle away the minutes looking at books, toys, comics or annuals.  I still have quite a few items (or replacements) from my childhood, with which I associate the places I first purchased them.  SUPERMAN From The '30s To The '70sThe MIGHTY WORLD Of MARVEL Annual 1973EL TEMPO marker pensPRITT glue sticks, and a whole host of other items instantly transport me back to W. & R. HOLMES, a bookshop, stationers, toyshop, tobacconist, art department, etc., which has never been equalled by any subsequent would-be replacements since it closed its doors in the late '70s.

And what about that old standby that everyone of a certain age must surely miss as much as I do?  WOOLWORTH'S, where every child of the '60s and '70s obtained some of the best toys ever released at that time, to say nothing of two ounces of PIC'N'MIX whenever one wanted some jelly babies, dolly mixtures or jap desserts.  'Woolies' was usually the place my elasticated black plimsolls were purchased for gym classes in primary school.  No such thing as designer trainers for kids back then - Woolworth's was a great 'equalizer' when it came to blurring the distinctions between better-off families and the not so prosperous ones.

W. & R. Holmes - now that's what I call a shop!

R. S. McCOLL's was another haunt of mine in bygone days.  'Twas in McColl's I obtained my first MARX friction-drive DALEK (1967), my CORGI TOYS diecast orange bubble-car (1969 or '70), The INCREDIBLE HULK Annual #2 (1973), a TITCH stapler that sits to the side of me as I type (1978 or '79), and a COCA-COLA sign which still adorns my wall to this very day (again, '78 or '79, I think).  In the early or mid-'80s, it moved from the premises it had inhabited since I was a lad to another unit further up the street, and though I still frequented it for years afterwards, it was never quite the same.  (Though I did buy my very first brand-new ACTION MAN there in 1984.)

Well, I could go on and on, and perhaps some of you think I'm going to, but I'll call it quits with this last little thought.  If someone were to ask me what my idea of Heaven is, I'd have to say that my home town exactly as it was in 1969 or '70 would come pretty close.  To be able to walk the streets and run through the green fields I knew as a child, to visit the shops I liked from my earliest days and which could always be relied upon to supply the simplest and the best of pleasures - well, that sounds pretty heavenly to me.

R. S. McColl's is under the awning to the left of the
pillars.  Further up the street is Woolworth's

Sometimes, in dreams, I once again wander the familiar haunts of my youth, where long-vanished people and places welcome me warmly and invite me to spend some time with them.  However, such moments are fleeting, and the harsh reality of the here-and-now lies in wait to disappoint me when I awaken to a new day.

******

We thought there was no more behind
But such a day tomorrow as today
And to be a boy eternal.

William Shakespeare

******

So, any places from your childhood or teenage years that you wish still existed, or do you prefer things the way they are now?   Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section.

6 comments:

  1. It's the same here - it's now a ghost town. In our old town centre there used to be a record shop, a toy shop, 2 newsagents, a book shop, Woolies -all regular haunts of mine, now all gone! Also gone are 4 supermarkets where we did our grocery shopping. Now, all there is, is a big TESCO just outside the town centre. Take or leave it and do without!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our shopping centre is now many times the size it was in the photo, but it has fewer supermarkets, no furniture or DIY shops, only one record shop (which is only there because they got a special deal on the rent) and is nowhere near as good as it was 30 years ago. There are dozens of premises that have never been occupied since they were built. Progress? Huh!

      Delete
  2. I agree it can be strange seeing long-established landmarks demolished but most of the changes where I live have actually been an improvement - I can't pretend otherwise. They knocked down the old railway station and built a huge new Tesco store in its' place where I can buy everything under the sun seemingly - how is this not an improvement ? And my immediate area has been greatly improved by the demolition of derelict old buildings. They've just demolished a building which contained our doctor's surgery in the '70s/'80s and where my mother was a volunteer in a pensioners' day centre from 1974-1997 so it was a bit of a shock to see the building was gone but I still have it in my memory - that won't change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't speak for your area, CJ, never been there. However, up here, I don't see countless mobile 'phone shops, pawn shops or charity shops as much of an improvement.

      Delete
  3. Actually, Kid - just before Christmas our British Heart Foundation charity shop closed and now there are no local charity shops. Oxfam and the PDSA have also gone. And we actually had a mobile phone shop that closed too so even they are vulnerable despite the ubiquity of mobile phones. I do regret the loss of Woolworths though and we've also lost WH Smith's. On the plus side the local Gregg's has opened a bigger shop :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...