Wednesday 28 January 2015

WHAT'S IN A BOOK?


Illustrated by ERNEST H. SHEPARD

You're looking at a book I bought back around 1977 or so.  "Big deal!" a few of you may be thinking, but I've posted it here because it reminds me of so many different moments in my life.  Of course, I've wittered on before about the associations that items can conjure up, but if I didn't return to a topic from time to time, I'd have little to write about - and then some of you might be placed in the unfortunate position of having to find something a lot more worthwhile to do with your time than read this humble blog of mine.

I first saw this version of one of the all-time classics of literature in a magazine ad while awaiting my turn in a barber's shop one afternoon, circa 1976 or '77. (Actually, it was a ladies hairdressing salon by the name of MARINA, which accommodated a traditional gents barber in a partitioned section at the back of the shop.)  Several weeks later, I ordered a copy from a great place called MODATOYS in the local shopping precinct of one of my old neighbourhoods, and patiently waited to be informed of its arrival.


About a month or so later, myself and a friend decided to visit our old primary schools.  He had gone to one just around the corner from where I lived, and I had gone to another one not too far away from it when I had resided in a different part of the area quite a number of years previously.  After visiting those two schools and being given guided tours around them by their respective secretaries, we then called in upon the school we had both attended while living in another neighbourhood, the same one in which was located the toy (and book) shop referred to in the previous paragraph.

I should perhaps mention that we were only around 17 or 18, and schools were much more welcoming to former pupils - and far less security-conscious - than they are nowadays.  To once again walk the corridors and view the classrooms of our childhood was a magical thing, even though it had only been about six or seven years since we'd left.  Of course, at that time, those years were almost a third of our lives away, so, proportionately, it seemed like a much longer period than it would seem to me today.  (These days, six or seven years appear to be roughly equivalent to a fortnight back then.)


Anyway, being in the neighbourhood, we dropped in to the shop to enquire about my book.  Imagine my surprise to discover that they had 'phoned my house a couple of weeks earlier to let me know that the book was now in stock.  I had been out, but they had left a message with my father to pass on to me, which he hadn't. Thanks, dad!  I didn't have enough on me, but I returned to the shop a few days later and paid for my new acquisition.

(Funnily enough, a few years later, another friend of mine relocated to England, and would 'phone me from work from time to time.  If I wasn't in, he would ask my father to let me know he had called, which he never did.  A case of parents regarding the affairs of their offspring as being too insignificant to worry about, much less remember, I guess, but it was annoying.  I only found out about them when my friend mentioned it in a 'cassette-a-letter' some time later.)


Anyway, back to the book.  Sometime back around 1985 or '86, having moved to yet another house, I bought a second copy of the same edition from a book club, and placed it alongside its predecessor on my shelf.  The later edition was slightly thinner, and had an orange cloth cover as opposed to red, but I got it in an introductory offer for about 50 pence (or less) so it was a welcome addition/spare to my collection.

So, whenever, I look at this particular edition of The WIND In The WILLOWS, there are many different things I associate with it: The barber shop (which only recently relocated, but the separate section for gents was phased out long ago), the toy and book shop (now long-gone, alas, but it was there a good number of years and is sadly missed), the three primary schools of me and my friend (the one we both attended demolished last year, the previous two having fallen to the same fate not long before), the two houses in which I lived when I obtained each copy of  that particular edition - and last, but  not least, my long-vanished youth, when I was young, strong and fit, with more years ahead of me than behind me - no longer the case, alas.


It also reminds me of my father's annoying inability to ever pass on a message.  All that history - and so much more besides - contained within the pages of one book. Amazing when you think about it, eh?  If there are any particular books which conjure up distinct recollections of your own past, please feel free to share them with the rest of us in the comments section.

8 comments:

  1. Ee kid, there have been so many! ( Incidentally, SOMEWHERE I have TWITW in a GREEN cloth cover).
    The Coral Island by R.M.Ballantine conjurs up many different memories for me.
    Firstly of the nice lady teacher who would enthrall me by reading passages out from it to the class at "story time".
    Secondly my horror at the cannibalism and the pirates' cruelty to the cat in it.
    Then there was my enthusiasm about the story, telling my Mother all about it when I got home, only to find that it was one of her childhood favourites as well and she told me that her brother, Uncle Bill actually HAD a copy of the book at Granny's!
    And when I talked to Bill about Coral Island he actually GAVE me his book.
    ( Incidentally, it was my Uncle Bill who actually taught me to read with my Beezer annuals! And he now tells me that the reason why he used to spoil me as a kid with loads of comics was actually to encourage me to READ!)
    But, like Ronnie Corbett, I have digressed. Probably the strangest connection the book holds for me is that it reminds me of my discovery of super hero comics. It would have been around '62 when 2 school chums brought a load of DC comics in to school and told me where I could get them from.
    I only had enough to buy a b&w Marvelman, but when I got home, I was remembering some characters I had seen and decided I would invent and draw an amalgam of Superman, Marvelman and Young Marvelman, called " SUPER-YOUNG MARVEL-MAN". But I couldn't find any spare paper anywhere to draw it on, so I drew it on a white page in the back of my Coral Island book! Of course, in later years I would regret defacing it and, in time, it even lost its cover.
    But I still do have that coverless classic, complete with my child like drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a paperback book, JP? I could make another cover for it, although it may not match the original. We spoke about the book before, I think, but did I ask you if you'd read its sequel - The Gorilla Hunters, where the three lads are now adults? I first read it back in the early '70s and quite enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. No, it was a hardback, but thanks for your kind offer.
      Yeah, I've actually got The Gorilla Hunters on PDF, on your recommendation, but I still haven't gotten around to reading it yet. You know how it is.

      Delete
    3. Believe me, I know exactly how it is. Incidentally, I was only 13 or 14 when I read the Gorilla Hunters, so bear that in mind if you don't like it. I enjoyed it at the time, but don't remember too much about it. I assume I'd enjoy reading it again, but I won't know for sure until I do.

      Delete
  2. For me it would probably be The Three Investigators books. In primary school we went to the library once a week - the library was right next to the school so we had to walk no more than a few yards. I devoured every 3 Investigators book I could find and I think I also bought a couple in paperback from WH Smith's. I keep meaning to look if they are for sale as e-books as it would be interesting to read some of them again. I also read the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew but the Three Investigators were my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Three Investigators, CJ - first one I ever read was The Mystery of The Green Ghost, from my local library. I read a few a number of years back, and a stage magician was now their 'mentor' rather than Alfred Hitchcock. I'll probably start at the beginning at some point and work my way through them again.

      Delete
  3. John's mention of his teacher reading out passages from The Coral Island (I don't know that one) reminds me of my first year in junior school 1973-74 when our teacher Mr. Selwood would spend the last half-hour or so of the day sitting on a stool in front of the class and reading The Hobbit to us - he read us the whole book bit by bit. Mr. Selwood was about the right age to have read the book as a child when it first came out in 1937 so maybe that was HIS favourite book and he was passing it on to us. I saw a 75th anniversary edition on sale in late 2011 so I bought it and read it again - it's much better than the over-rated Lord Of The Rings in my opinion. I saw the first movie in The Hobbit trilogy too but I didn't think much of it - far too long and unnecessarily drawn out with scenes and characters not in the book added to drag it out even further. By the way, Kid, my apologies if this comment appears twice - for some reason my comments are appearing in duplicate on certain blogs (but not others - I don't understand it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only appeared once, CJ. Yeah, I agree, The Hobbit is a more entertaining book than LOTR, which could do with a severe editing in my opinion. Haven't seen any of The Hobbit movies yet, but I enjoyed LOTR.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...