Monday 5 February 2018

A FANTASMAGORICAL MACHINE...



I never owned a CORGI TOYS CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG when I was a kid, but a relative had one so I almost feel like I did.  (Which is like that old joke of nearly winning the Lottery recently because the guy next door won.)  In fact, I never got to see the movie until it was on TV in the mid or late '70s, but I must've enjoyed it 'cos I bought the soundtrack album not too long after.  Around 1991, Corgi reissued the car as a collectors' piece (and priced accordingly) and I raided the piggy bank to buy it, with wooden plinth, replica box and all.  Some time later, I managed to acquire a 1968 original and when I compared the two, I noticed that the figures in the reissued version were ever-so-slightly different, as was the car dashboard.  A Corgi employee later confirmed to me that these parts had to be re-created from scratch because they couldn't find the pieces from the original moulds for them.  (I believe the rest of the car was from original moulds though.)


Some years back, Corgi reissued their 'Corgi Juniors' version of the car (which was a rebranded HUSKY model made by Corgi and, I believe, originally sold only in WOOLWORTH's) and I bought one.  Sadly, in a cost cutting exercise, the figures weren't included, which, to my way of thinking, was a huge mistake.  The car looks better with the figures, and the better the car looks, the more likely it is to sell in larger numbers.  What's the point of keeping the price lower if the product is less likely to sell because it doesn't look as good as it once did?  Anyway, I recently managed to buy original Husky/Corgi Jr. figures from ebay and added them to the car, improving its appearance by at least 100%.  Don't believe me?  Take a look at the photos I took afterwards and see for yourselves.


I probably will stump up for an original Husky model one day, but for the moment, this combi-version will suffice.  'Tis a thing of beauty, but I'm debating within myself as to whether I should paint the wings so that the car has the proper complement of colours.  What do you think, fellow Mellows, should I paint them or leave them as they are?  Decisions, decisions.  As I said, I didn't have this car as a kid (either version), but because I was aware of it, merely looking at this great wee toy reminds me of the '60s and the joys of childhood.  I was going to end this post by saying I wish I was a boy again, but the truth of the matter is, I've never really grown up.  And guess what?  I wouldn't have it any other way.


6 comments:

  1. I have an original. Front and Back wings on mine are red not yellow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have four of the new ones, two with yellow side wings and red front and back ones, and two with red side wings and yellow front and back ones. I believe the Husky/Corgi Jr. versions also alternated the colours like this. I assume yours has red side wings. LH?

      Delete
  2. Christopher Nevell6 February 2018 at 07:12

    I saw the original at Heathfield Park, East Sussex in the 1970s. I hadn’t seen the film but had seen the toy. It looked great. I wonder where it is now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pierre Picton owned the original car for many years until it was auctioned off in 2011, CN. Film Director Peter Jackson owns it now I believe. I saw a licensed replica a few years ago in my local main shopping centre. There are photos of it over on Crivens.

      Delete
  3. Looking at my original to the one in the photo .It has been changed in many places and my four wings are red with yellow stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you be mistaking this one for the larger Corgi version, LH? This is the Corgi Juniors version, which is only around a couple of inches long.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...