Saturday 17 January 2015

GOING TO THE GROSVENOR, GUV'NOR?



Those of a certain age who are familiar with Glasgow's West End will likely remember the famous Grosvenor Cafe once situated in the equally famous Ashton Lane.  At one time it was renowned for its 'all-you-can-eat' 99 pence student breakfasts.  Unfortunately, I didn't discover this charming establishment until August of 1999, when I and a young lady partook of a good old-fashioned 'fry-up' one morning in an attempt to replenish the energy we had so enthusiastically expended the night before.  Breakfasts cost a little more than 99p by that time (though still extremely reasonably priced), and I instantly fell in love with the place.  Consequently, I returned as often as I could over the course of the next couple of years or so.

Imagine my dismay then, when I read in The Daily Record, dated Saturday, November 3rd, 2001, that the historic eaterie had closed its doors for the final time.  However, exactly a week later, on the 10th, the same newspaper reported that a new owner had moved the cafe upstairs.  Alas, it was the same in name only - even though some of the staff from downstairs had come with it.  The original premises were turned into a Vodka-Wodka Bar, and the new Grosvenor didn't last too long before becoming a Mediterranean-style eaterie called Mimmo's.


(As it turned out, Mimmo's proved to be an excellent restaurant, and I had many a fine meal there over the years.  A few weeks back, however, I trotted along to treat myself to yet another gourmet delight - only to find it had also now closed.  I was informed by staff in the bar downstairs that it had relocated, and that a new owner would be re-opening the upstairs premises under another name, but I haven't yet had a chance to get back along and check the place out.  Here's hoping it can continue the fine standard established by the previous owner.  Although I digress.)

So, for all those who remember the Grosvenor Cafe in Ashton Lane, here's a couple of photos from 2000 to stir up some fond memories for you.  (I'd have taken more, but my camera ran out of film.)  The mural on the wall was printed on the old cafe's menus a little while before it closed, and I managed to bribe one of the waitresses who went to work upstairs to part with one she'd kept as a souvenir.  One glance at that mural and it's 1999 once more, and I'm having breakfast with a young lady whose insatiable appetite was not confined to bangers, beans, bacon and eggs, regardless of how delicious they happened to be.

Ah, to be young again.

******

Re-reading this today, I'm struck by the fact that The Grosvenor Cafe has now been gone for over thirteen years.  My visits took place over a mere two year period (though seems longer than that), but the memories remain as fresh and as vivid as if they occurred only a few short months ago.  Where on earth does the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...