Sunday 5 April 2015

IF YOU HAD ONE WISH...



If, by some magical process, you had one wish, what would you wish for above all else?  Would it be wealth, health, youth, looks, immortality - or some other aspect which could be yours for the wishing?  Sex appeal, hair, height, charisma, etc., you name it and just imagine you could have it in a heartbeat.

In the following poem, the writer's wish is abundantly clear - but what would you wish for?

******

    The time hangs heavy on my hands as I think back on bygone days,
      When in fair childhood's far-off lands I played beneath Sol's golden rays.
      I thought myself immortal then and never spared a thought for death,
      For I was just a lad of ten, but now I'm old and short of breath.

     With little time ahead of me, my mind turns backwards to the past,
     And days of glory do I see of happy times I thought would last.
     But Time, the one who mocks us all, will have her way as years pass by,
     We are but captives in Time's thrall and 'tis appointed that we die.

     But in my head I'm young once more, surrounded by my childhood friends,
     And things are as they were before in mystic time that never ends.
     There's Tom and Jim and Joe and Bill, restored to youth once more in dreams,
     We play again upon that hill which rang with laughs and joyous screams.

     Then they grew up and went their way; they met and married loving wives,
     They gave their all in work and play, they led such rich, fulfilling lives.
     There was so much I meant to do, but never seemed to find the time,
     And now I sit here whilst I rue that I'm no longer in my prime.

     But then as if freed from a trance my reverie comes to a close.
     In mirrored-glass I catch a glance and wonder if that old man knows
     When he was young he had it all, the whole wide-world lay at his feet;
     He should have conquered and stood tall - but now I stoop low in defeat.

     My friends are gone, dead many years, and I am left to face my fate,
     I try to hold back stinging tears and know I've left things far too late.
     I should have made more of my life and not just let it slip away,
     And raw regret cuts like a knife for things unsaid I meant to say.

     Regret for things I meant to do, but sadly, madly, left undone.
     The women that I meant to woo, who might have borne to me a son.
     I sat and watched life pass me by as I was left upon the shelf,
     And then it was too late to try and I blame no one but myself.

     So one truth now I realize, that life is like a bitter pill,
     And as I dab tears from my eyes I dream once more of that green hill,
     Remembering with poignant joy the happy lad I was at ten -
     And wish I was a little boy, if only for one day again.

(Halcyon Days by Iain Osborne.)

******

Feel free to share your wishes in the comments section.

10 comments:

  1. I suppose I'd wish for contentment whatever that means. I've never been the kind of person who constantly craves more, more, more. When I was a kid I was happy enough as long as I got my comics every week - if they didn't appear (which was rare) I'd be bitterly disappointed but I was fairly easy to please overall. We never went on holidays but I didn't care at all. I don't go on holidays now and I still don't care - I don't understand these people who MUST HAVE a foreign holiday as if their lives depend on it even though they clearly can't afford it. For me that's what is so wrong with modern society - so many people swallow this consumerist claptrap that buying more and more stuff will make them happy and then borrowing the money to do so. People buying things they don't need with money they don't have as someone rightly put it. And then when it all goes belly up they blame politicians and bankers or immigrants or the sick & disabled or anybody rather than their own stupidity and greed. So perhaps my wish would be a society where people were sensible and lived within their means and realised that if you want good quality public services you have to....y'know.....PAY SOME MORE TAX !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's easy, - I'd wish for a million wishes! But, bet you've heard that one before?
    Seriously though, if I could only have the one, I think I would ask for the gift of TOTAL recall.
    Failing that, I would like to have the knowledge and understanding of EVERYTHING!
    So, as you can see, I don't ask for much!
    No, scratch both the above, it's selfish to wish for yourself. I would have to wish for an end to all war, suffering, misery, illness, poverty and famine on this planet and that everybody would love everyone else and do no wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not had a holiday since 1974, CJ. Nowhere I want to go (except the past) and nothing big or expensive that I really want - like a car, or a bigger house, etc. I would like to win the Lottery, but really only so that I could live comfortably with mo money worries and indulge myself with reasonably priced nick-nacks on eBay - and help others, nauseatingly 'nice' as that sounds. I'm not convinced about more tax - the Council in my town seem to spend an inordinate amount of money on big salaries for the big-wigs and nice little pension schemes. They'd be better using the money they get for the people rather than themselves.

    ******

    One wish, one item, JP. As regards your above wish, the irony is that the means for achieving that is already within our grasp, but we can't seem to see it. Nations nursing grudges that go back centuries is ridiculous, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kid, you beat me by three years as the last time I officially went anywhere on holiday was in 1977 (by coincidence it was the same week that Elvis died). I can't stand hot weather and I don't like flying so that rules out most foreign travel - I'd rather spend the money on a good quality computer or something. In a perfect world my tax raise would be spent where it was needed and definitely not on high salaries for council officials - every penny would have to be accounted for. But it doesn't matter because marginal voters won't pay the extra tax - and when public services wither away due to lack of funding they'll complain about the terrible state of public services....sigh, it's no wonder democracy is in crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention in my comment that there is one thing I'd love to visit - the Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis. Unfortunately they are very unpredictable so you could spend a fortnight in the Norwegian Arctic and never see them. I'll just have to make do with YouTube - they must look spectacular in real life though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was working nightshift in Safeway when Elvis and Bing Crosby died - only a few weeks apart if I remember correctly. Trouble with councils is the same as with most places, I suppose - too many chiefs and not enough indians. I may be mistaken, CJ, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Northern Lights can be seen from certain parts of Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had a holiday since '68 and I wouldn't go on one now, even if you paid me!
    What a trio of grumpy, miserable old gits we are on this blog!
    Holidays? - Whorraloadashite!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we all need a holiday, JP, to cure us of our grumpiness?

      Delete
  8. I know they can be seen from the Shetland Islands because somebody sent in a photo to Sky At Night magazine. If the Aurora Borealis is particularly active it can be seen much further south - even as far south as Florida but it's got to be really active for that !!! Elvis died on August 16th 1977 and Bing Crosby on October 14th - 2 days after my father's 50th birthday. And John Denver died on my father's 70th birthday - October 12th 1997.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I wasn't imagining it then. Hard to believe it's been 18 years since JD died. I'd have thought about 10 at most, CJ. Another country singer 'plane accident, too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...